Saturday, September 8, 2007

unlikely technology

this morning, i slowly jumped out of bed at 5:50 only to realize that it was saturday. three hours later, i get out of bed again and hope in front of my computer. while checking email, i notice that ms. ruth has messaged me over gchat about our 402 reading, which she lent out to someone and hadn't gotten back. she then asks if i have a copy of mine and a scanner.

i glance around the room. no scanner.

but in my hand is the article and on my desk is my video camera. so i decided to try my hand at playing james bond, and snapped off a few pictures of the article. i felt very crime-scene-investigator-like. surprisingly, the pictures turned out quite well and the font is readable.

unfortunately, the pictures our camera takes are rather big, and would surely clog up any inbox. so, i used fugu to upload the pictures onto my afs space's public folder. from there, i sent ruth a link to where she could just download them herself. if anyone else is in the same boat as her and is missing the readings (which are not otherwise online) you may share in our digital bounty.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~larryliu/402%20Reading%20for%20Ruth/

1 comment:

Mark said...

Larry,

Well done on the Bond, James Bond front. But you should remember that these devices are for school only not personal enjoyment. Now, while you did use the camera for a school related item, you have now outed yourself as being someone who looks for any time to fulfill childish fantasies of being a spy using whatever tools come to hand, even those tools not necessarily owned by you. Tisk, tisk.

In all seriousness, though, I have been becoming a slow convert to these devices. I read recently that poor people are intimidated by technology because they cannot afford it and thus are sensitive to being seen as lower class because they are ignorant of these technologies. I guess I could fit into this category.

I am trying, though.

Maybe I should start pretending that I am James Bond?