Friday, August 8, 2008

revived! (plus a scary dream)

so i thought it was high time i started up this blog again as an account of my first year as a teacher.

so last night i had a dream that is probably one of the greatest fears any teacher could have. it was the first day of school and i had nothing prepared. no syllabi, no seating chart, and i didn't even know how to log into zangle. i was pretty screwed.

the class began with me asking my class how they would define psychology. as they answered each question, they had to say their names for the sake of me and their peers. from there, i jumped off into a lecture about the different subfields and approaches to psychology based on what they had answered previously. then to top it all off, they split into groups to begin analyzing a specific scenario based on a specific approach i gave to each group (biological, cognitive, behavioral, etc). soon, i heard the rustling of books being put away. in a furious rage, i shouted, "the bell doesn't dismiss you. i dismiss you!"

when i woke up, i decided it was either a very good or very bad sign for me as a teacher. it could be very good in that it suggests i could even teach in my sleep. not just teach, but also randomly come up with a lesson plan on the fly. it could be very bad in that it shows how my lessons involve very little thought and just sort of fall together as they go.

here's to hopefully making tenure in the future.

2 comments:

lolosita said...

i never got to see the wrath of mr. liu -- but "the bell doesn't dismiss you, i dismiss you!!" sums it up pretty well, ha!

i have the same dichotomy toward my planning -- i can come up with things very easily on the fly, and sometimes it is necessary, but afterward, i always think of better questions i could've asked and better activities for them.

you're teaching psych this year? where? good luck!!

Lynne said...

Larry! Welcome to the "end of summer"! Hope you have been able to enjoy your summer and do some relaxing? I have not had any dreams about my first classes yet, but I have been thinking that I will have my ands full and I need to get into gear! I will have 3 preps (Chem Algebra & Conceptual Physics) so I'm pretty sure I'll be back in the "MAC Mode" of plenty of work to do. Keep up the bloggin! Lynne